Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Troubleshooting:Internet Explorer broken after Windows 8.1 in-place upgrade Error

Internet Explorer broken after Windows 8.1 in-place upgrade

I have upgraded my Windows installation from 8 to 8.1.
Now, I have the following issues with IE:

- IE is not listed on the start screen, neither pinned nor in the app list.
- IE does not store visited sites.
- IE does not cache internet files, which additionally has the effect that I cannot install apps (error 0x80072ee4, see

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/fdf5d069-16ee-48b6-a2b8-d12199ba572e/0x80072ee4-error-in-store-for-any-app-after-windows-81-upgrade?forum=w8itprogeneral)

I have tried really every fix I can imagine without success:

- Restoring the icon by pinning does not work as IE is not in the app list at all.
- The "C:\Windows\System32\ie4uinit.exe - UserIconConfig" method (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2736598/en-us) has no effect at all.

- I have tried to move the temporary internet files folder, but after I logon after that, the configuration is empty (IE does not show a location) and the Maximum size is reset to 0.
Furthermore, I cannot set the maximum size of the folder.
Instead I get
an error message to choose a number between 8 and 8, which also does not work.
- I deleted the cache entries in the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache).
Those get re-created by IE, but the problem persists.
- I have removed and re-added the IE feature, which seems to be the only option to reinstall IE on Windows 8.1
- I have reset the IE settings (in the "advanced" settings tab).
The problem persists and I additionally cannot at search providers and TPLs any more.
- I ran sfc /scannow which did not find any issue.

Do you have any any additional suggestion on how to fix that? I really prefer not reinstalling the system, but only IE.
Browsing does btw.
work without any problem.

Edit: The effect seems to be limited on my user account, i.
e.
the temporary files and the shortcut are working for other accounts.
So I want to add the following restriction: if possible, how can I fix that without re-creating my user profile
(I have an awful lot of stuff configured...)?

Thanks in advance,
Christoph

Anwsers to the Problem Internet Explorer broken after Windows 8.1 in-place upgrade

Download Error Fixer (Free)

I solved the problem in the meantime: it had nothing to do with the Windows 8.1 upgrade, but was caused by prior changes to the group policy that our admins made.

We switched from a single file server to a DFS namespace.
Therefore, the location (UNC path) of the shell folders changed and deployed via a new GPO.
Unfortunately, the GPO does not change all registry entries.
Particularly, the entries for the IE Cache
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\(User) Shell Folders\Cache etc.) pointed to the old remote path which was not available any more.
I fixed the issue by searching the registry for the old UNC path of the shell folders and
replacing it with the new one.

Machine Throttling
  • Go to the Start button.
  • In the Search box, type "regedit" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  • Look for the following registry key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions".
  • On the right window pane, delete the subkey: "Machine Throttling".
  • Restart your system.

Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: Internet Explorer broken after Windows 8.1 in-place upgrade:

 

 

How to Fix Internet Explorer broken after Windows 8.1 in-place upgrade with SmartPCFixer?

1. Click the button to download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer.  Open it, and it will perform a scan for your system. The errors will be shown in the list.

2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.

3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been removed


Related: Am logged on to the Wa State Empl page but cannot get the check boxes on the application to show up on my computer My computer is a Toshiba Laptop running MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 I have pop up blocker turned off asus driver download How do you backup all files to an external harddrive with Windows XP asus drivers I see BLUE when trying to install Windows6 1 KB958559 x64 RefreshPkg msu asus motherboard drivers Samsung A50 5MP Digital Camera will not connect to my 64 bit laptop with Windows 7 asus mainboard driver download START screen on Windows 8 blank No applications visible asus driver Windows Media Center opens but the closes program by itself and offers no solution asus driver Windows updates failing with errors 800B0100 and 80073712 asus motherboard drivers Realtek AC97 audio drivers for Windows 10 Realtek AC97 audio drivers for Windows 8.1 Realtek AC97 audio drivers for Windows 8,All Programs On The Desktop Open The Windows Media Center,Adding Radial Dials To Forms In Word 2010,Adobe Flash Player Up-dates Will Not Download. Manage Add-ons Does Not Show Anything Disabled.,Anything I Type In The Search Engine Immediately Closes IE 8.,Alps Pointing Device Stops Working And Resumes.
Read More: [Solution] How do I add a min & max value to a formula withi,[Solution] Server Error: 5102 Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x,How to Resolve - cannot send out e-mails, but receive them,(,ms money uk version Tech Support,Solution to Error: Windows 7 Errors with Windows Help and Support, Network Connection, and System Restore,Programs Compatibility Application Applications App Apps Game Games Legacy Crash Crashes Hang Hangs,iMesh is not working only minimizes,How I can I restore MS-DOS backup (.bak) to Vista?,Won't connect to network, Ipconfig shows media state disconnected, Ipconfig release and renew not functional,On start-up I see: "Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS."

No comments:

Post a Comment