Associate http protocol with IE8 instead of Firefox
I have been trying to associate http protocol with IE8 and have not been successful. When I go to 'Default Programs' and try to associate http with IE8, it is not shown as an option. I only see Firefox, Opera, Chrome and Safari. The check mark that
indicates Firefox as the program for http is greyed out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Keys to the Problem Associate http protocol with IE8 instead of Firefox
1. What is the version of Windows you are using?
2. Are you able to open or access websites using Internet explorer?
I would suggest that you make Internet explorer as the default web browser on the computer and later check if the http protocol is associated with Internet explorer.
a) Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
b) If a message is displayed asking if you want Internet Explorer to be your default browser, click Yes.
That's all you need to do.
If a message does not appear, go to the next step.
c) Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.
d) Click the Programs tab, and then click Make default.
e) Click OK and then close Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer is now the default web browser.
Change your default web browser
Change which programs Windows uses by default
Hope this helps!
Halima S - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Manually editing the Windows registry to fix Error Associate http protocol with IE8 instead of Firefox
Caution: Unless you an advanced PC user, we DO NOT recommend editing the Windows registry manually. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows. We do not guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
- Click the Start button.
- Type "command" in the search box... DO NOT hit ENTER yet!
- While holding CTRL-Shift on your keyboard, hit ENTER.
- You will be prompted with a permission dialog box.
- Click Yes.
- A black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- Type "regedit" and hit ENTER.
- In the Registry Editor, select the Error 0x9C-related key (eg. Windows Operating System) you want to back up.
- From the File menu, choose Export.
- In the Save In list, select the folder where you want to save the Windows Operating System backup key.
- In the File Name box, type a name for your backup file, such as "Windows Operating System Backup".
- In the Export Range box, be sure that "Selected branch" is selected.
- Click Save.
- The file is then saved with a .reg file extension.
- You now have a backup of your MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION-related registry entry.
Another Safe way to Repair the Problem: Associate http protocol with IE8 instead of Firefox:
How to Fix Associate http protocol with IE8 instead of Firefox with SmartPCFixer?
1. Click the button to download Error Fixer . Install it on your system. Open it, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The junk files will be shown in the scan result.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be fixed.
3. The Fixing part is finished, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been fixed.
Related: Anyone Having Trouble Opening Yahoo Mail Through IE8?,0x80070001 Error When Doing Windows Backup,Active X Controls I E 9,After Sending An E Mail,the Lower Right Corner Now Shows, Sending Mail, Rather Than Connecting And Stops Normal Activity Of E Mail Functions. How To Get Rid Of "sending Mail" Notice,Assembling A Manuscript With Multiple Chapters In Individual Files,Printer No Printing From Email,How To Sum Range VBA Depending On Fill Down,Comparision Of Two Cell At A Time & Result In Tick,Windows 7 Pro Freezes Windows Every 60 Seconds When Using Windows Applications,Windows 8 And Pinning On Start Menu,Recorded Dvd Movies And Sound Do Not Sync.,How To Format Fat 32,Simple Table Not Behaving Correctly,Word Starter Open With Previous Document,IE 11 Seems Notto OPEN When Pinned To Taskbar.
Read More: [Solved] "Back" tab in Internet Explorer,[Solution] I am trying to check my email from gmail and this keeps coming up: HTML Parsing Error: Unable to modify the parent container element before the child element is closed (KB927917),Can't print from a Windows 7 laptop to a Windows 7 PC with H,[Solution] Internet explorer will not display any web page and I can't uninstall it,[Solved] I can not install photosmart c4280 all-in-one printer driver,IE 8 Need to print youtube embedded static images on regular web pages.,SEARCH INDEX CHANGES WITHOUT PERMISSION,Display Mode Selection and Aero Previews Disappear,SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION from netio.sys started 2 days ago for no apparent reason,I have a backup program surviving from a previous computer. How can I remove it?